Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
Official Health Department Guidance on Buffets
From the Washington State Health Department’s official guidance, Phase 2 and Phase 3 will allow for customer self-service at salad bars, buffets and other communal food sources and drink stations – but only if increased safety is provided through the following:
- Physical social distancing of customers in line
- All sneeze guards, utensils and other customer-service equipment are properly in place and used.
- Any food that has been touched or otherwise contaminated by customers or employees is discarded.
- Staff monitor the areas to maintain proper customer usage and food temperature
- Serving utensil touchpoints are sanitized or replaced with clean utensils at least every hour in Phase 2 and every two hours in Phase 3.
- Hand gel, with 60% alcohol, is available for customer use.
- Provide wrapped self-service condiments and disposable serviceware, such as single service packets or carry-out utensils.
- It is recommended that you discontinue product sampling and demonstration stations, except for single portions offered in response to a consumer’s request from the service counter.