Now that we’re just about fully open, you need employees to come back to work. The workforce shortage is poised to be the next big challenge for the hospitality industry.
This toolkit is designed to give you ideas on enticing employees back into hospitality. We’ll keep adding resources as we go along, so check back often.
[Replay] CEO Podcast: Dissecting the workforce shortage
Listen to Washington Hospitality Association President and CEO Anthony Anton discuss the reasons for the worker shortage and ideas to help you find employees, including recruiting tactics, optimizing your operating hours and looking at your culture. You can find his slides here: 2021 Workforce Crisis
The Employment Security Department offers employers a chance to split the cost of an employee with them, without affecting experience ratings, through Sept. 4, 2021. The program pays anywhere from 50 to 90% of your employees’ salaries if they are working 10 to 50% fewer hours. Check out these resources here.
Your employees may be looking for various benefits to go along with their job—something they don’t get with unemployment benefits. We have partners who offer low-cost or free-to-you benefits.
- Teledoc: Employees can have virtual access to medical professionals and prescriptions.
- UnitedHealth Group mental health services: Employees can access mental health professionals, including crisis text lines, substance abuse helplines and access to Sanvello, an app for stress, anxiety and depression.
- HIHIT: The Hospitality Industry Health Insurance Trust is designed to give small employers access to affordable medical plans.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Employees can receive help for marital problems, stress, job pressure, grief and loss, substance abuse and more.
- Alice: This is a flexible spending account for your employees. They can contribute to it and use it for medical visits, dental, vision, birth control, childcare, commuter fees and more When the employee uses Alice, the employer saves 8% in payroll taxes. The employer and Alice split the payroll savings.
- Passport Unlimited: As Washington Hospitality Association members, you and your employees have access to this program that connects you with discounts at local and national chains.
- Office Depot purchasing card: As Washington Hospitality Association members, you and your employees can use this card for 50% off printing services, 30% off collating and folding and discounts on other supplies.
Reach out to your territory manager for more information about these programs.